Recipe: Chai Tea (serves six)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 10 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups water
- 6 bags black tea
- 2 cups low or non-fat milk
1. Lightly bruise peppercorns, cloves, and cardamom pods, place in a tea infuser and put in saucepan. Add cinnamon sticks and 6 cups water. Bring to boil over high heat, uncovered.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot, and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Turn off heat. Add tea bags and steep for 5 minutes.
4. Discard tea bags and spices. Add milk, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer.
This is a yummy, subtly spiced chai tea recipe, based on a Homemade Chai recipe from Epicurious. The main difference is we left out the sugar (the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup brown sugar), and adjusted the spices a bit. If you’re in the mood for a spicier drink, you can double the spices or add less water. If you have chai left over, you can turn it into a light cocktail, the Malibu Chai.